- Author: Dale Carnegie
- Genre: Career & Success
Audio version available:
About the author:
Dale Carnegie is an American writer and lecturer. He has developed various courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
How to win friends & influence people is around 264 pages, divided into 4 parts and 30 chapters. Dale Carnegie explains all of his principles through personal stories and case studies.
Dale made sure to elaborate on everything taught in the book, mentioning various stories in every chapter. Whilst not being concise “How to win friends & influence people” is one of the most comprehensive books I have read. Dale tries to answers any questions readers may have throughout the book.
Who is it for
Frankly, anyone can read “How to win friends & influence people”. It’s a book everyone can immensely benefit from. However, I do highly recommend you read “How to win friends & influence people” if you 1) Have problems communicating with people around you, 2) Fail to persuade people around you, 3) Want to be a better leader or friend.
Topic: Fundamental Techniques in Handling people
- “If you want to gather honey, don’t kick over the beehive” – Don’t criticize, condemn or complain.
- The big secret of dealing with people – Give honest and sincere appreciation.
- “He who can do this has the whole world with him.” – Arouse in the other person an eager want
Topic: Six Ways to make people like you
- Do this and you will be welcome anywhere – Become genuinely interested in other people
- A simple way to make a good expression – Smile
- If you do not do this, you are headed for trouble – Remember that a person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
- An easy way to become a good conversationalist – Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
- How to interest people – Talk in terms of the other person’s interests.
- How to make people like you instantly – Make the other person feel important, and do it sincerely.
Topic: How to win people to your way of thinking
- You can not win an argument – The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
- A sure way of making enemies, and how to avoid it – Show respect for the other person’s opinions. Never say, “You’re wrong.”
- If your wrong admit it – If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
- A drop of honey – Begin in a friendly way.
- The secret of Socrates – Get the other person saying “yes, yes” immediately.
- The safety valve in handling complaints – Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
- How to get cooperation – Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers
- A formula that will work wonders for you – Try honestly to see things from the other person’s point of view.
- What everybody wants – Be sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and desires.
- An appeal everyone likes – Appeal to the nobler motives.
- The movies do it. TV does it. Why don’t you do it – Dramatize your ideas.
- When nothing else works, try this. – Throwdown a challenge.
Topic: Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment
- If you must find fault, this is the way to begin – Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
- How to criticize and not be hated for it – Call attention to people’s mistakes indirectly
- Talk about your mistakes first – Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
- No one likes to take orders – Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
- Let the other person save face – Let the other person save face.
- How to spur people on to success – Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be “hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise.”
- Give a dog a good name – Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
- Make the fault seem easy to correct – Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
- Making people glad – Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.
If you want to learn more about the principles in this book, please check out our stories and articles. You will be able to find short, easy to comprehend, and entertaining stories that help you understand all of the principles from How to win friends & influence people.
Be sure to share this book review with all of your friends and family!